- Written by Michael Heyns
Published: March 7th, 2017
It has been several years since I have published a general update on this site, and given the recent refresh of my website I figure it's about time. This will be brief however.
Recently my website was hacked, and it's taken me the better part of a month (in my free time) to stand it up again. This required migrating to a new server, and upgrading my content management system to a later and more secure version, which introduced a lot of site bugs that needed to be dealt with. So that's a recent development. On the positive side, the website is running better than ever, and I've been able to make some small improvements here and there too.
- I started and am continuing a Masters of Science in Aeronautics and Astronautics (MSAA) at the University of Washington in Seattle, WA. My focus is on plasma and propulsion, however I am taking the degree part-time while I work full-time as a Program Manager at Microsoft, so unfortunately it's a laborious process. There's light at the end of the tunnel though! Expecting to graduate in Spring 2019!
- In 2015 I married my now-wife, and we promptly adopted several rabbits and bought a house in the Seattle area a year later. The rabbits are famous! You can follow their adventures on instagram.
- The house we bought was built in 1908, so it's nice and old, but has tons of character. It also affords me plenty of opportunities to scratch my mechanical itch from working in software all day, by fixing and making things at home. Last summer I built a coffee table for our living room, which is, quite frankly, awesome. Details on Instructables.
- I am still active outdoors, and have been mostly dividing my time between scuba diving in the Puget Sound and mountain biking in the mountains. About two years ago I became a PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, which allows me to teach more students different diving specialties which I love. You can keep up with some of my diving adventures on the diving portion of the site, but be warned, that isn't updated as often as it should be!
- I'm still building and launching model rockets, but haven't writen much about these activites. Perhaps I'll document those adventures more in 2017.
That's it for now. I just wanted to provide a super short update; there's lots more, including lots of upcoming projects I'll be taking on. For now though, just touching base and letting folks know what I'm up to.
Have an awesome 2017 all,